“The residents have yet to feel the pains of the urban and semi-urban brethren resulting from paying higher toll fees, higher petrol prices, etc. Wait until this BN put a toll right in the middle of their village and they will then come howling. They have made the bed and they must now lie on it.”- Billy (blogger)
This is a comment from blogger Billy in my blog. I believe many Malaysians share his sentiment and felt the same way too.
That’s because many Malaysians outside of Machap, especially those living in the urban and semi-urban areas, were hoping that the Machap people would vote against the racist, heartless and arrogant BN. But they have forgotten that Machap is indeed a BN’s stronghold. And the way BN handles its by-elections in Machap was blatantly crude if you know what I mean. Yes, the entire race was marred by lies, violence, intimidation and vote-buying in line with Islam Hadhari.
But I hope every Malaysian would take note that there was an increase of votes (slightly more than 2% of the total votes) to the opposition. This is not insignificant in a BN stronghold like Machap. DAP gotten only 18% of the votes in 2004. It now obtains 20%. DAP did quite well in Machap Baru, registering an increase of some 15% votes (from 21.89% to 36.57%). I was hoping to get 50% of the votes here before the polling day.
Pls take note that Ali Rustam was talking about sweeping the deposit from the DAP before the race. “Lori Gostan” must have thought that to re-tar the entire road system in Machap Baru and Machap Umboo (Kg Permai), lining the road from Machap Baru to Machap Umboo with 900 street lights, building a recreational park over a week and forking out hard cash besides making pledges after pledges (from land for the farmers and land to the dead ones, relocation of transmission towers, tenure of land rights extended to 99 years ONLY IF BN won the seat ) to buy votes would have “sapu” our deposit.
The partnership between DAP and PKR must have contributed to this significant “moral victory” for the opposition.
Let us not despair with this result. We should see the light, take the cue and work hard (very, very hard) to create the right conditions for greater opposition unity. The opposition leaders MUST not ignore the need to work together. And the people must also play a part in achieving the much-needed unity.
Political analyst Wong Chin Huat has an analysis…